My photo
"The whip hurts, but I measure power by my ability to withstand it...not in your strength in using it."

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Shapeshifting & Comic Book References:


People often feel very passionate about certain things. Whether it's politics, religion, or just about any other topic capable of inciting heated debates. 

I enjoy reading and hearing their opinions, but rarely do I ever feel moved by them to any real extent, at least not long-term. Barring out-right bigotry, racism and those fuckwads over at NAMBLA, which I luckily feel no compulsion to sympathize with, I'm usually able to understand both sides of most any debate. Sometimes it goes beyond that. My Shifter nature will always lean towards whoever I'm speaking with at the moment, and is subject to change depending on the opinions of those in my general surroundings.

I'm apathetic and fickle, that doesn't mean I don't recognize the importance of your stance, or appreciate your passion towards it, in fact it's that very energy which will draw me to you in the first place. It's just that once I'm out of your area of influence, I probably won't give anything you've told me a second thought.

At least not until we chat again on the topic and you once more have my undivided attention, the extent of course will depend on your level of devotion.

I used to think I wore a mask around people, pretending to be somebody I wasn't because the way I'd think would always change depending on my circumstances, and especially when I was alone, but years ago I realized and accepted the fact that I'm just a Shifter, blending into my surroundings. And that each "persona" I have is as authentic as what most people would consider to be their "real" selves.

Some of it does involve feeding, as there are times when I go into predator mode and if I sense that someone's energy is naturally antagonistic, then I will poke at them to get a better reaction, but if not, then I'm the best, most attentive friend you could ever hope for.

None of this is intentional, and I never take a great deal of energy from those I consider my friends, but I'm aware of myself enough that I'm able to recognize, and own up to it.

For example, I believe that the reason I'm so quite around people I don't know very well is because subconsciously, I'm letting them take the lead so that I can collect data on them, get a feel for their energy, so that my personality can build accordingly. Until I know what I need to be for someone, whether it's the sympathetic shoulder to cry on and ear to listen to their ventations (I'm a writer, I'm allowed to make up words), or an adversary for them to verbally spar with, then I'm literally a blank slate.

It used to depress me a bit, my Chameleon Shifting (Cocktail Personality Disorder for those of you who don't believe in Metaphysics), because I felt like I was nobody, just a reflection of those around me. I constantly felt insincere....not while I was talking with someone, because that always feels natural, but afterwards, once I have a chance to think things out and realize that my opinions constantly contradicted themselves.

Now I realize that I was wrong. I'm not a nobody, I'm not just a collection of everybody I've ever known, although bits and pieces can be attributed to them, and I'm not being insincere or catering to those around me.....I'm just a person who can be whatever and whoever I need to be, and I completely accept that.

This isn't a warning, I'm not trying to scare anyone off, but I am honest enough to try and explain how I am, as it can come off as highly manipulative at times, and for the most part, that is not intentional either.

The very nature of my shifting is manipulative, because it helps me either blend in, or instigate, depending on the role I feel I'm supposed to play.




No comments:

Post a Comment