My photo
"The whip hurts, but I measure power by my ability to withstand it...not in your strength in using it."

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Familiars are Serious Business:


One of the first Occult groups I stumbled onto, during my early years on-line, and before I met my first serious group later on, was a bit on the fluffy side. (notice I go out of my way not to say “witch” if I can help it, I know most claim that title, but I do not, and prefer not to exclude myself when speaking about the Craft.)

During one of our chat sessions, someone came up with the brilliant idea to post pictures of our familiars. I declined because, as I tried to explain to them, familiars in my path are not animals, but animal spirits whose form I share during my OoB shifts.

They didn’t really understand, or else they didn’t want to, and insisted that I get myself a familiar, pronto.

Now, my feline companions at the time were very active in my crafting, to the point that they’d go nuts at my door anytime I was preparing for a ritual. Normally they couldn’t be bothered with me, but the second I’d so much as whip out my pendulum, they were all up in my business. Of course, they were family, so I wasn’t about to insult either them, nor my actual familiars, by slapping that particular label on them.

So instead I uploaded a picture of a pet rock and dubbed it my familiar. The group was not amused, despite the fact that I’d gone through the trouble of gluing googly eyes on the damned thing. They told me that if I wasn’t going to take them seriously then maybe this wasn’t the group for me. After my second upload of my pet hermit crab, I was booted from the forums.

Which is a shame, as I’m sure that Mr. Krabs would have made for a far superior familiar than the forum host’s chihuahua.

I still have that pet rock. I keep him in one of those little plastic cages they give you at the pet store when purchasing feeder mice. His name is Fred.

>picture forthcoming< 

No comments:

Post a Comment